What’s THIS?

By | March 22, 2012

Hey folks. It’s been awhile.

Obviously I’ve been elsewhere… since October. I’m vaguely embarrassed by this, as historically I’ve gotten peeved with bloggers I liked getting too busy to blog — and here I’ve received what can only be described as a well-deserved comeuppance.

If you’ve been following me on xoJane you’ll know I haven’t been idle, bringing the good news of self-acceptance, rampant fattery, and my unabashed weirditude to the wider population. (Can I just take a moment to note how nice it is to write a series of concepts like that and know that nobody’s going to steal my Oxford comma because this blog doesn’t fucking keep to fucking AP style? Ahhhh.)

Also, I have this book coming out. Have you heard about it? I need to put a thing in the sidebar that goes HEY BUY MY BOOK, WHICH COMES OUT ON APRIL 10, 2012. Amazing-but-true bit of trivia: they had to stop the presses, literally, when a last-minute blurb from Camryn Manheim came through. WILD, RIGHT?

Self-promotion has never been my strong suit; I do the tiniest amount and immediately assume I’m being way overbearing. But I’m also learning that a huge part of writing for a living is cultivating one’s fucking hustle.

Also also, I’m saying fuck a lot because I’m used to having curtail it. Fuuuuuck.

So. Until I get that sidebar business resolved, here are an enticing array of pre-order links:

If you’re in New York City, I will be in your area on April 17th and 18th! On the 17th I will be at Barnes & Noble Upper West Side with the excellent Diana Cage. On April 18th I will be at the legendary Bluestockings bookstore.

If you’re in Boston, you’re gonna give up your Friday night for me on April 20th, when I descend upon the Harvard Book Store, with a little help from Women, Action, & the Media.

If you live somewhere else, then tell me where and why you want me to show up there. I’m gonna try to make this shiz happen.

There will be other cosmetic changes around this joint — I’d like to get some damn cakes in the header — and I really do intend to get back to blogging on a regular basis, I just need to let go of my need to always turn everything into a meticulously researched two-thousand-word epic.

Anyway, how have you been?

Cheers,

Lesley

Sarah on March 22, 2012 at 7:52 pm.

I am casting my vote for you to visit the ATL! I know Marianne Kirby visited Charis when she was promoting “Lessons from the Fat-o-Sphere,” and I think it would be an awesome venue for you to visit!!!

rachel on March 30, 2012 at 10:50 am.

Yes, please come to atlanta (or athens, ga).!!!

Melissa on March 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm.

I think you should come to Seattle because I want to be BFFs. Unless that’s creepy. Which it probably is, in which case: FLEE!

Roxarita on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm.

SEATTLE x2

kerry on March 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm.

Seattle x100!

firefey on April 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm.

please come to seattle! we have seriously delicious cupcakes, and mountains, and rain.

Lauren on March 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm.

LONDON :p (pipe dream, I know. Once you’ve made a gazillion dollars and are on your next book, we can talk)

Well done though, I just pre-ordered. Can’t wait!

JessDR on March 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm.

Not a pipe dream! I live in Boston, and a short-notice flight to Buffalo (only 500 miles away) last week cost me only a little less than a flight to London.

Awlbiste on March 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm.

Oxford comma FOREVER. Thankfully they let us keep our precious commas in the history discipline.

I am telling myself I will wait for the Kindle edition, but if it’s too long to wait I’ll just buy the good, old-fashioned paper version.

Amanda Lintaman on March 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm.

So lovely to see you back here, although I have enjoyed following you over on xojane. Congratulations on all the exciting stuff in your life: new book, xojane, transcontinental travels etc!

Now onto the real reason I’m writing. How about coming to Halifax? That’s Nova Scotia. Um, you know? Canada, eh? Just a hop, skip, and jump through customs and here you are: the great white north, except, you know, not nearly as great or white or northern as you might expect. :). Seriously, Halifax is a college town, with no less than 3 major universities. Plus, it’s a port town, so pubs galore! And it’s Canada, so at the very least you’d get some great poutine. C’mon! Come to Halifax! Puleeeeeeeeeese!

Jennifer Berghom on March 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm.

The Rio Grande Valley of Texas would be a good place, since the health care community has been shaming Latinas for their size and has been going on about the obesity epidemic here. I think you coming down and promoting your book would allow these women to love themselves and take control of their lives without being pressured into bariatric surgery. Plus I live here and would love to see you.

Zoe on March 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm.

Looking forward to reading your book. More fat positive books on the market can only be a good thing.

I think you should come to Minneapolis because I think you’re rad and want to take you out to tea.

Noveltyspoons on March 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm.

Already pre-ordered. Would you think about swinging through Chicago?

Jane on March 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm.

Wow. I think I should use this as an excuse to come to Boston (not that I need one, but it doesn’t hurt.)

On the other hand, if you wanted to come to Omaha, that would be good too.

Also WHO DOESN’T LOVE OXFORD COMMAS? THEY ARE SILLY.

caseyatthebat on March 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm.

Oxford commas and an irreverent, excessive number of fucks, ftw. Now, off to Amazon to pre-order your book, look at the pretty things, and see what Harlan Coben is up to these days.

See what I did there? ;)

carmen on March 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm.

You should totally come to Chicago! It’s nice this time of year… Lil chilly (well….normally) and the city is beautiful. Plus I’d looooove to come to your book signing!! Pretty please?? Btw… Heart your stuff on xojane!

Cathy S. on March 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm.

I like a woman who appreciates the Oxford comma (long may it separate). I think I will try to get into the city from Jersey to see you. That would be fabulous. Maybe I’ll play hooky from work.

Charmagne on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 pm.

PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO, NY!!!!

JupiterPluvius on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm.

This is the most exciting thing in the history of ever! I love the space-age-ness of your book’s cover. I will be at the Harvard Book Store event with bells on (well, not bells, because that would be noisy).

Karen on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm.

You should come to DC! I will try to come up with a more compelling argument than that, once I have a chance to check in with WMST folks at the University where I work, and see what the speaker situation is.

Erin on March 23, 2012 at 1:17 am.

I’ve never gone to a book event or anything, but I would TOTALLY GO to something you did if you came to Vancouver. If you were in Seattle I would find an excuse!

arashi-san on March 23, 2012 at 2:52 am.

I third the suggestion that you come to Seattle! Because I, too, would love to be BFF’s with you. :) And I am very excited that you are back on the blogging! Does this also mean that the podcast will reemerge as an active project? I have been listening through the old episodes because they are continually educational and re-affirming, and because I just love listening to you and Marianne talk!

CollieMom01 on March 23, 2012 at 7:22 am.

Welcome back!!! Of course, I’ve been reading regularly on xo-jane, but I also check in periodically to the blog and I’ve gotta say, I’ve missed you here. Can’t wait to read the book and will pre-order on Amazon. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have you come to Mid-Michigan, but all our independents have closed and there’s only the one Barnes and Noble left around these parts, but I would totally make the trip to Ann Arbor were you to pay a visit. :D And congrats on getting your book published–that’s a huge accomplishment! Bravo.

Louise (@HeliotropeFairy) on March 23, 2012 at 7:35 am.

Lesley you’re back a blogging yay! I’ve been following your XOJane posts and it’s great that you are spreading the word of size acceptance to new people who may not have come across the concept before (along with articles about other great stuff like tea!). I’ve been really happily surprised reading the comments to your articles on XOJane, there is a lot of positivity towards size acceptance and I didn’t expect that. I think the way you write and put forward the issues has really made people think and possible change their attitudes. You are doing a great job and I have your book on order at Amazon! xx

PS. Are there going to be any new Fatcasts coming up? I miss them in my life!

Veronica on March 23, 2012 at 7:45 am.

The book! The book! The book! Can’t wait to read it!:=)
Come to Norway? Okay, so there really isn’t much of a FA community here, but you could help me get one off the ground!!;):)

Tia on March 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm.

Guess what? I just ordered Lesley’s book from Adlibris (www.adlibris.se), which you can use as well if you live in Norway. Yay!! It is slightly confusing though that it has already come out here, when Lesley wrote that it comes out April 10?

And: we should start a scandinavian FA-chapter! I’m from Sweden.

ClaudiasMama on March 23, 2012 at 8:18 am.

Listening to reruns of fatcast could only get me so far without missing you. I just recently had checked up on your twitter feed and saw that the book was done. (YAY!) and I thought to myself, hey she should be coming back to her blog now. . . And you did! (MORE YAY!)
A hearty congratulations and a giant thump on the back. :) If anyone deserves the success it is you.

Ashley on March 23, 2012 at 9:15 am.

I am missing your posts here. I am so going to read your book, can’t wait.

Monica on March 23, 2012 at 10:18 am.

DC! Come to DC! Because I want to meet you and possibly hug you if that is okay and have my book signed!

Mezz on March 23, 2012 at 11:19 am.

Just added it to my Amazon Wishlist! Woo hoo!

Regina on March 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm.

I’m going to second you coming to Michigan, mid, or west. Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are both great cities that don’t get enough love from tours of any kind.

Also, you know, the whole “you changed my life and I’d like to thank you in person” bit.

Joanne on March 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm.

Hurray for the book and the Oxford comma!

Can I add another plea for More Fatcasts? I know it must be time consuming and fiddly, but it’s still just so damned much fun to listen to you two talk…

Darcy on March 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm.

Do you have any more details for the NYC dates? Specifically, the times and maybe the address of the B&N?

I was annoyed for a while that this blog was dead, until I realized that it was cuz you were blogging on xojane, which has now replaced the hole in my heart that Jezebel left.

Also, if I preorder the book from Amazon, will you get less money?

Jen on March 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm.

If you’re going to end up in Seattle, I think it’s only fair that you show up in San Francisco. We need some Lesley on the west coast!

Carahe on March 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm.

Come to Los Angeles! It is and will be warm and beautiful here and we are in desperate need of the gospel and presence of Lesley!

Also, welcome back.

Time-Machine on March 27, 2012 at 2:47 am.

Bit late to the party, but seconding this! Come to LA! I would be there and probably bring several friends.

Ellen on March 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm.

Iowa City, Iowa. Sounds weird? Maybe, but the U of Iowa is there and home of Prairie Lights Bookstore, a nice independent bookstore that does a lot of author readings. Please, I’d love to meet you and get an autographed copy. :)

Betsy on March 24, 2012 at 8:06 am.

My heart is full with the many shout-outs to the Oxford comma.

Jenn on March 24, 2012 at 10:37 am.

i ordered the book on amazon. yeah!

if you are going to seattle you might as well come to portland too! its pretty rad here!

Katryn on April 9, 2012 at 6:29 am.

Yes! If you’re selling through Powell’s, you ought to visit the mothership!

Kate on March 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm.

I’m with Erin, you should come to Vancouver! Seattle would be an acceptable substitute. :)

Buttercup Rocks on March 25, 2012 at 7:15 am.

Yay! Congratulations! I can’t wait to read it!

stellanorte on March 25, 2012 at 8:13 am.

Just pre-ordered your FABULOUS-I’m-Sure book from Amazon and shared the fabulousness of this experience on fb…..you are a joy to the world!

Sonja on March 25, 2012 at 10:18 pm.

Yay! *Adds to cart in next tab* Any hope of seeing you in the DC area? It’s not so far south of Boston or NYC.

brittle_star on March 25, 2012 at 10:33 pm.

Los Angeles. Please come. We need you.

Heather on March 27, 2012 at 8:58 pm.

Come to San Diego, pleasepleaseplease!

JessDR on March 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm.

Yay!!! Can we get an audiobook version too? I miss your voice from Fatcast, and there is very little fat-positive stuff (or any social justice for that matter) on Audible.

Ann on March 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm.

If you would like to visit Philadelphia, we would love to host you at The Spiral Bookcase! Congrats on the book! I’ll be stocking some copies here. :)

Ann
The Spiral Bookcase

Jackie on March 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm.

I know it’s in the ass-end of nowhere but I wish you could come to Ithaca :( Can’t believe I’m missing you in NYC!

Jackie on March 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm.

Which is to say: COME TO ITHACA!! We have cute bookstores and coffee shops and everything real live civilization has :P

Beth on April 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm.

Dearest Leslie, I’d love to see you in the Buffalo, NY area. Bonus Leslie poses in Niagara Falls? :)

Ali Thompson on April 3, 2012 at 7:22 am.

PLEASE come to Philly!! I would so love to see you!

Lori Madison on April 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm.

I was so thrilled to hear that you have a book out. You are truly a gifted writer and I have enjoyed reading you here as well as on XO Jane. I loved the podcasts you and Marianne put out. They made me laugh and think. I would love for you to come to Baltimore, Maryland one day and grace us with your awesomeness because we could definitely use some awesome here.