Fatcast LIVE!

By | April 1, 2011

World-Reknowned Fat Ladies  Lesley Kinzel (of twowholecakes.com) and Marianne Kirby (of therotund.com)  (Oh my, are they ever fat!)  [Little drawing of a whale]  are proud to present  FATCAST  LIVE!  Inviting questions from the audience  At Re/Dress NYC  109 Boerum Place, Brooklyn  Sunday May 1st at 1PM  For more info on Fatcast: http://fatcast.twowholecakes.comDid I mention this is happening? There is a Facebook event page for it and everything! It’s taking place the same weekend as NYC’s storied and magnificent Fat Girl Flea Market, so if you’re going to be in town for that, you’ll have the chance to kill two fat birds with one very fat stone.

We will be recording the event to post later, so if you can’t make it, don’t fret! You’ll be able to feel sad AND hear the resulting podcast! Wait, that didn’t come out how I meant it.

Hope to see some of you there.

TA on April 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm.

Hey Lesley:
I’d love to have this question answered (even though I won’t be able to be in New York). Awhile back you and Marianne did an episode on exercise. In this you mentioned a running program called Couch to 5k. I thought that sounded fun, so I started running. And it was fun! I loved it and am running still.

I didn’t start running to lose weight, but I did lose a bit (not a lot, but a little, that may be noticeable to people who notice these things – probably not to anyone else). Fast forward to next week when my mother-in-law comes to visit. She’s thin-obsessed, even in her mid-70s still talking about her own weight and the weight over every woman she sees and frequently the weight of her other daughter-in-law, the thin one. This generally infuriates me, but I never say anything, of course.

When she comes for her visit, I know what she’s going to say: “Oh you’ve lost a little weight!” This will make me as mad as her saying, “I see you’ve put on a little weight” because it’s just not her business to comment on my body. But no one ever sees saying “you’ve lost weight” as an insult because IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE A COMPLIMENT.

So what do I say to her “compliment”?
A) Nothing
B) “I hadn’t noticed.”
C) “I never weigh myself.”
D) “GO AWAY!”

I know the live podcast doesn’t happen until May, which will be too late for this impending visit. If you can leave me a comment back, great. If not, maybe answering my question will help someone else. Thanks!

G on April 1, 2011 at 10:17 pm.

Oh goodness. I have gotten the same sort of “compliments” too (also after doing C25k for a while, yay!) and I find it’s really useful to deflect it to a discussion of what my body can do instead of how it looks, i.e. “Oh really, I wasn’t paying much attention. But I can run 3 miles now, and I’m really excited about that!” Or however you run.

JupiterPluvius on April 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm.

I will be interested to hear what Marianne and Lesley have to say, but this is something that happens to me as someone with a chronic illness whose weight varies a lot, and my response is generally “Gosh, I never weigh myself.” If I am feeling super-fit and it seems like they’re trying ineptly to celebrate or recognize that in me, I say somethign like “Gosh, I never weigh myself. I am feeling great about my last hike (or whatever).”

Fledchen on April 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm.

Thank you for providing a description of the image in the alt-text! Thank you for remembering screen reader users. :)

Lesley on April 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm.

There’s no excuse for me not doing that every time, given how easy WordPress makes the addition. I am resolved to be more consistent on this in the future!

JupiterPluvius on April 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm.

SO AWESOME. Wish I could be there. The cheerful whale is completely delightful!

thirtiesgirl on April 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm.

Man, when it comes to fat activism, being in LA just sucks.

Ashley on April 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm.

I don’t live anywhere near there, but I can imagine.

Lumi/Bryar on April 5, 2011 at 7:03 am.

This is ever so fantastic! Undoubtedly it will make for a very interesting and fun episode (as if they all aren’t)!

And, if you’ll allow me to indulge in some selfish glee, by some magical bit of serendipity I will be making my first ever trip to NYC (to the East Coast, for that matter) for my 30th birthday and to visit my BFF, who lives in Brooklyn, and will be arriving the day before the weekend of the Fat Girl Flea Market and Fatcast at Re/Dress NYC. This wasn’t even planned!

I have every fat activist and fatshionista there ever was, is, and will be (and especially everyone who has taken to the Web to blog, comment, share a photo, etc.) to thank; but, it is you I must thank in particular, Lesley, for laying some shattering blows to the near-visceral dungeon of shame, fear, and self-enforced timidity in which I was ensconced in the face of internalized and externalize fat-shaming. If I had not been so, dare I say, blessed to stumble upon Two Whole Cakes (then Fatshionista) while exploring fatshion last spring (fatshion being a thing, you know, which could ONLY be a temporary endeavor, that is until I got my gosh-darned act together and had a properly pleasing, aka thin, body to lay garments upon), I would NEVER be making this trip to New York. Nope, not on a plane; nope, not to a city like New York. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a real mensch and your tremendous wit, humor, erudition, sense of and commitment fairness and broad justice, capacity for reflection, and sheer chutzpah are a boon to the Fatosphere, blogsphere, and world at large.

And on the Fatcast, what a jubilant and stimulating conversion it has been a pleasure to listen to. It is amazing to hear ideas voiced that I’d never or too rarely heard proffered: from class/race/gender/etc. intersections with fatness (rarely), to the inclusion of transgender bodies (more rarely), to the queer sexuality of fat, particularly femme fat, bodies (never). And yet the dialogue never hangs too heavy, but is peppered with laughter, amusing tangents, anecdotes, and lighter and practical topics. <3 <3 <3 to you and Marianne.

I hate to come off as unctuous, but there it is. Y'all rock my world.

I hope you ladies of Fatcast have a marvelous and safe trip and visit to NYC! I so look forward to the Fatcast and I look forward to hearing everyone's questions!

P.S. I was ecstatic to see this article the other day on the deleterious effects of fat-shaming (in a NYT blog, no less) and immediately thought of recent posts here on that very topic, especially regarding certain aspects/tactics of Michelle Obama's "anti-childhood obesity" campaign. Then I saw that Marianne (of The Rotund) was an interviewee for the piece. Huzzah!

Spreading Fat Stigma Around the Globe

P.P.S. Ms. Obama’s aforementioned campaign was featured somewhat satirically in tonight’s episode of Nurse Jackie (Showtime). Anna Deavere Smith’s character, a hospital administrator attempting to lure the first lady to speak in an attempt to up the facility’s prestige, schools the staff on the campaign: “Fat children are enemy number one!”