Short Cuts: Megan Tonjes, PAX East, & promises for the future.

By | March 8, 2011

First: I owe this blog a deep reading of the video for Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way,” I am aware. I am presently working on a Gaga-related essay (two, in fact) for a different project this week—one that actually has a deadline—but “Born This Way” is going to happen, rest assured, and I shall address both the lyrical problems and the many Madonna homages. I will tease with this: if you still believe the Madonna influence on Gaga’s performance is not fully self-aware, then I hope to make you think about it in a different way. Madonna’s greatest talent was not her so-called originality, but in knowing where best to borrow, or “steal”.

Second: A friend linked this on my Facebook wall today, and I was all, “Why the fuck didn’t I know this lady existed until now?” Megan Tonjes is a singer/songwriter with a healthy following on YouTube, where she posts videos featuring both original music and pretty damn interesting cover versions, and she is also the brains behind Project Lifesize. Megan was on The Ellen Show last month, even, where she talked about some of the hateful comments she’s gotten on YouTube—bastion of love and acceptance that it is—for daring to be fat and incredibly talented. Also really really good-looking. Anyway:

And if I may combine the first two topics into one, Megan has posted a mashup of “Born This Way” and “Express Yourself” and, um, Taylor Swift’s “You Belong With Me”, which is about the only way I will listen to Taylor Swift. Take a listen.

Finally: I shall be wandering around with my radical-ladyness at PAX East this weekend. If you are also going to be in attendance and would like to say hi, follow me on Twitter (advance apologies to my Twitter followers who don’t give a crap about PAX; it’ll all be over on Sunday!) or just keep an eye out for my fat ass, which may even be ensconced in ruffles to facilitate recognition. PROTIP: Hang out in the classic console free play area long enough and I can guarantee you will see me, probably trying to remember which Mega Man was the good one.

JeninCanada on March 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm.

While you’re at PAX, watch out for Dickwolves aka Team Rapist. I hope you have fun regardless of the asholishness of the PAX East creators.

Lesley on March 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm.

Oh, I am aware.

Fat Overactor on March 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm.

Not to bring this whole ugly thing back into the light, but I wonder how Dick Wolf (creator and producer of ALL of the “Law & Order” Series) feels about having his name sullied by these immature cretions?
Dick Wolf’s IMBD Page

Megan Tonjes is A-MAZ-ING!!!

Rebecca on March 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm.

I’ll be there, enforcing. I actually saw you last year at Pax east when I was working in the registration/queue area, you were ensconced in ruffles then too! Which sounds creepy that I didn’t say hi, but that I remember what you were wearing, but oh well! I will say hi this time if I see you!

Sweet_as_Cake on March 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm.

Wow, Meghan Tonjes is amazing!

SA on March 9, 2011 at 10:09 pm.

Now there’s the kind of talent that should be winning American Idol.

Leesh on March 17, 2011 at 9:36 am.

As much as I want to like her, I can’t stand it when people sing so softly. I just feel like lecturing them to sing properly. Too many years of singing lessons I guess :/

She is pretty though.

withoutscene on March 18, 2011 at 12:23 am.

I lurve Megan Tonjes. I found out about her awhile back and then rediscovered her (and found out about Project Lifesize) when I was creating a fat pos newsletter for a friend’s niece recently. I also like the fact that she wants to show others how she does her videos so they can do the same. Most people would just continue to act as though their fabulousness comes easy.

Poppy on April 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm.

Wow that songs sounds so good with her singing it! I hate that song but her version makes me love it!