Friday Fluff: xoJane and me

By | May 20, 2011

A screenshot of xoJane.comSo xoJane is a thing, a new thing perpetrated by Jane Pratt, late of Sassy and Jane. The former was a massive influence on my formative years, the latter I loathed, just a little bit. Nevertheless, when the opportunity came to contribute to Jane’s latest project, my positive memories of the former won out over my cranky feelings about the latter and I said fuuuuuuuck yes, only with slightly less profanity.

I’ll be contributing over there once or twice a week (once a week when I’m working on book edits, twice when I’m not). You can check out my admittedly goofy-ass author bio to get links to all my stuff. Most recently I wrote something about “beach bodies” and daring to go out in public in swimwear. The overall site content thus far is definitely interesting, and while I have problems with some of it, I really really dig the idea of a ladymedia space where even the contributors can passionately disagree about stuff. This should come as a surprise to no one, given my penchant for emphatic debate.

Not interested in xoJane? Fear not, my pets. Posts here shall continue in their typically radical and polarizing manner. I thank you all, from the bottom of my very fat heart, for your continued patronage of my work, whereever you may partake of it.

Have a swell weekend.

tricia on May 20, 2011 at 11:17 am.

More Lesley? Sounds like a good thing. :-)

Ashley on May 20, 2011 at 11:41 am.

Fun fun! I’ll check it out!

Rosa on May 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm.

I am so on the fence about xoJane, thank you for letting us know you’ll be there!

Sue on May 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm.

Gene Kelly was your first movie crush too? Get out! I’m 41 years old and figured no one younger than I would even know who Gene was, let alone crush on him.

When I was a youngster, his singing and dancing and general cuteness made me swoon. As I got older, I also realized, “Jesus Christ, look at his ASS.” Ahem.

Katie on May 21, 2011 at 12:33 am.

I. love. this. “I have a beach body. It’s this one, the one I take to the beach…”

Veronica on May 21, 2011 at 6:11 am.

Already saw the Beach Bodies thing; loved it!:D

Anna Banana on May 21, 2011 at 7:21 am.

Lesley, I really enjoyed your article. That being said, I can’t find anything else positive to say about the site. It seems like another vapid, twisted, lady blog done just to espouse the bullshit women are fed everyday by mass media. Am I missing something? In all honesty I’ve never read Jane or Sassy, I’m far too young. I did read Jane’s post to her reaction for being called old though, and it was really just horrible. Am I missing something? Honestly, I am asking. Or is this kind of like when you did the response in Marie Claire. I feel that it is supposed to be different, because I keep reading that this is feminist blogging, but honestly I just don’t see it. That being said, because it is you and you are awesome, I’ve bookmarked the site.

M on May 22, 2011 at 7:08 am.

I’m old enough to remember Sassy, and it was nothing like this. xoJane is really, truly horrible. Right next to Lesley’s article was something entitled, “You could be better looking!” I don’t even have the words…

I think Sassy’s greatness was more thanks to the amazing writing staff rather than Jane. I’m glad that at least, Lesley’s writing will be reaching to the people who are reading xoJane.

Kathleen Lynch on May 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm.

That site is a bit of a mixed bag. I loved your post, Lesley. I was also really touched by this article, it made me cry. http://www.xojane.com/sex/my-rapist-friended-me-facebook-and-all-i-got-was-lousy-article

I think it’s a huge positive that you’re injecting some body-positive perspective into that space. It’s possibly the first time some of the girls visiting that site may have heard a different prospective from the mainstream idea that we should all hate ourselves and starve ourselves to death.

Erin on May 22, 2011 at 12:14 am.

Lesley-
You are full of awesome.
This post on beach bodies was exactly what I needed today. I’m going on a trip with my university choir (including the guy I’ve had a massive crush on for like, a year) and recently discovered that there is a pool at one of the hotels. Horror of horrors, I may indeed need to unleash my fatness upon the world, or at least my crush. Before reading your post I was seriously debating pulling the old “oh, I left my suit at home, darn” trick, but after reading it I was reminded that if they (oh the evil, omniscient, omnipotent they) had a problem with my fabulous fat, then they could go, pardon my French, fabulously fuck themselves. Anyway, tl;dr, I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you a lot.

Lesley on May 25, 2011 at 9:57 am.

Yes! Yay! You’re welcome.

tk on May 22, 2011 at 9:26 am.

Your stuff is by far the best thing there–I hope it increases readership for you, or you are getting paid good $, or both. I just can’t bear to give anything so exploitative and sad the clicks.

Violet on May 23, 2011 at 1:49 am.

I miss Sassy! I worshipped it when I was younger. I can even remember that my favorite writer was Christina Kelly. Looking through the articles on xoJane, it seems like there’s … a lot of variety at least. There’s some stuff I’m interested in and some I’m not. I’ll give it a go though.

Alice on May 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm.

Well, between you and Christina Kelly posting on xojane, I may end up there more than I would otherwise, though I share some of the above concerns. (Violet, you should totally search for CK – she’s got an (infrequent) awesome blog of her own, and the stuff I’ve read so far is great.)

Is there a way to RSS just your stuff, though? I know that I’ll end up not reading if I need to slog through the whole shebang, but I like seeing how your ideas flow in a more ‘mainstream’ space. Please advise if there’s a feed that I’m just missing!

Lesley on May 25, 2011 at 9:56 am.

I don’t get my own RSS feed, so far as I know. You can always bookmark my author page (and the author pages of anyone else you like; I’m stoked at being lumped together with Christina Kelly!) and check there for new posts. I will probably wind up linking most of my posts here, though, during weekly round-ups.

Eva on May 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm.

Ewww some of those articles make me feel seriousy uncomfortable. Fortunately I’m just going to bookmark Lesley’s Author profile and just check that for new articles…..
The sexualisation of fat men and women in this article made me squirm:

Rebecks on May 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm.

hmmmmmmmmmm

Lesley on May 29, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

Yeah, I saw. It’s likely just a coincidence, as I’m not the first lady to rebel against the beach body! But thanks for sending it along nonetheless. :)

Sarah T on June 6, 2011 at 12:01 am.

I just read your xoJane article on bikini bodies and laughed so hard! You’re an amazing writer and that article was exactly what I needed to hear. I’m from Wisconsin; swim-worthy weather is rare and damnit I’m going to go enjoy myself this summer! Thanks! :)