Friday Fluff: Me and Oprah, and a very amenable beluga.

By | May 27, 2011

Animated gif edited to demonstrate Oprah releasing the bees on her show, and audience members celebrating/weeping in terror.

YAY THANKS OPRAH!

Over on xoJane, I wrote a post about what Oprah and I have in common.

When Oprah tries something new, millions of women will follow, diets included. And yet, if Oprah can’t manage to make herself permanently thin, with all her resources, then what the hell kind of chance do the rest of us have? In 2008 Oprah said she was “embarrassed” by her recent weight gain, and yeah, that’s understandable. This is a woman who can afford to employ a whole bloody team of nutritionists and cooks and trainers and coaches. If anyone can buy self-discipline and success, Oprah can. If anyone can overcome biology or behavior or whatever we think is responsible for making us fat this week, Oprah ought to be the one.

Read it all here.

I’ve mentioned before that I have a Tumblr, whose purpose continues to be hazy and undefined. Well, about a month ago I used it to invent a beluga who boosts your self-esteem and loves you unconditionally, and occasionally gives you thoughtful non-professional advice. Thus far Your Beluga Best Friend has talked about looking different, the challenges of moving into a new stage of life, the longing to be normal, and most recently, the difficulties of coming out, among other subjects.

You can read all the Beluga posts thus far here. The response has been pretty incredible. I suspect this is because it’s easier to accept kindness and advice from an imaginary beluga than from a real person; it speaks to the scared kid inside all of us, I think—those parts of ourselves that want to be reassured that we’re okay, and that we’ll be okay.

If you want to ask the beluga a question, you can do so here. I am also soliciting artwork for Your Beluga Best Friend, as I’m running low on Creative-Commons-licensed photographs. Send your beluga drawings to me at lesley at twowholecakes dot com, along with a link to credit, if you’d like.

Finally, here’s Heavy Impact performing a routine to Lady Gaga’s “LoveGame” on America’s Best Dance Crew, a season or two back. ABDC has a pretty great legacy of featuring dancers of different sizes, and I especially loved these guys.

Hat tip to Jennifer for sending this along and jogging my memory!

Have a marvelous weekend, y’all.

Lampdevil on May 27, 2011 at 11:54 am.

That Oprah gif almost made me snort pop out my nose. And it only gets better the more and more that you watch it. Thank you so much for posting it, it’s awesome.

You’re also pretty awesome too, Lesley. :D

Lesley on May 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm.

That Oprah gif continues to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen on the internet. The maniacal laughter! The weeping! The dancing! I wish I knew who made it originally.

Lesley on June 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm.

AAAHAHAHAHA! I should have known! Thank you.

Rachel Kacenjar on May 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm.

holy crap, I love that Oprah graphic! I also had forgotten about Heavy Impact. I cried when I first saw them perform, they moved me so! The Lady GaGa episode was on late last night for some odd reason and it really made me happy! Cheers!

Heather on May 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm.

OK — this might be totally redundant, but for the Beluga pics, have you tried searching Flickr for Creative-Commons licenced work? I went to http://search.creativecommons.org/?q=beluga and hit the Flickr tab, and came up with a lot of options. One of my favorites is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevensnodgrass/3424065260/.

Twistie on May 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm.

Oh. Wow. I had never heard of Heavy Impact. Thanks for sharing! Those guys are even more awesome than the Oprah graphic!

buttercup on May 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm.

Best GIF ever.

RachelB on May 27, 2011 at 3:03 pm.

Lesley, I just wanted to thank you for Beluga Best Friend, who is awesome. I seriously wish I’d spent adolescence reading BBF instead of Dear Abby.

Mag on May 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm.

That Heavy Impact clip made my day—so fabulous.

How have I been unaware of your tumblr? I needed YBBF in my life, and you will definitely be getting artwork from me for it. Any particular requests? (BFA in Illustration here, I am totally trained to draw belugas doing whatever you please)

Jennifer on May 27, 2011 at 5:41 pm.

Yay, you read my e-mail! [/fangirl]

And I concur, Buttercup.

Shoshie on May 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm.

The Oprah clip is amazing. And BBF makes me so so so happy.

Holly on May 27, 2011 at 7:23 pm.

A couple of weeks ago, I unexpectedly wound up embroiled in an argument with a friend of a friend about whether fat people do, in fact, ever exercise. The hate was out in full force – her toward the fatties and me toward her. If only I had seen that Heavy Impact video beforehand. I can’t imagine a more badass way of proving my point.

Also: Bees!

Piper on May 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm.

Don’t praise ABC too much. They have a reality-tv show coming out called Extreme Makeover: Weightloss Edition. The fat hate just doesn’t stop!

buttercup on May 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm.

Lesley wasn’t praising ABC the network, she was praising ABDC, America’s Best Dance Crew, the show.

Speaking of which, that clip was awesome. I had not seen them before, now I’ll be haunting you tube for their dances!

Charlotte on May 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm.

I love Beluga Best Friend! I’m going to start following immediately!

maggie on May 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm.

I just want to say right now that I love my Beluga Best Friend, so hard. That is all.

(Also I guess I want to say thanks!)

Liz on May 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm.

OMG the Oprah gif just totally made my day.

JupiterPluvius on May 30, 2011 at 12:42 am.

I have no training in art at all, but am going to draw you a beluga in a top hat because top hats are awesome.

I may ask my goddaughters to draw you some belugas also. Watch your inbox for belugas.

Vanessa on May 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm.

Wow, I love the beluga you’ve created! You always manage to be funny at the same time as being inspirational.

I’ve been reading this blog/Fatshionista for a long time now, and I’ve always loved what you do, but I’ve never commented before. I figured it’s about time I say hello. So hello!

archidothiki on May 30, 2011 at 8:51 pm.

totally drew you a beluga. it brightened my day immensely :)

JessDR on June 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm.

OOOH, thanks for BBF. I can feel the big squishy flippery hugs, and I really really needed that just now.

Katryn on June 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm.

You’ve probably already seen this, but it’s one of the only mainstream articles I’ve seen on the subject that directly addresses the social stigma of fatness and how it affects people, rather than implying fatness is a personal failing. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/opinion/03glass.html?src=recg