Fat NYC: An uncharacteristically fluffy picture post

By | May 4, 2011

Me, standing on a New York street, wearing a ruffled chambray dress and black leggings and grey boots.

Marianne took this. Damn my crooked leggings.

So! Last weekend found Marianne and I in New York for the Fat Girl Fleamarket, and for our promised live Fatcast. The Flea was amazing, as usual, and I think the Fatcast went okay, though I was hopelessly distracted by technical difficulties and by the mimosas our brunch waiter totally peer-pressured us into drinking beforehand.

It was a swell trip, even if I did only get to see less than half of the folks I wanted to, as any exposure to radical fat community is always a welcome treasure. I only took a few pictures that wound up on Twitpic, and they mostly involve shoes, but here they are for your perusal.

Image of Marianne's feet in white socks and pink and black polka-dotted Dr Martens oxfords, and the bottom of her long black dress.

Marianne's socks and shoes and skirt.

A collection of fats standing on a NY street corner waiting for the light to change.

Fatty caravan to the Fluevog store.

Marianne, in a long black tank dress, tries on Fluevog boots, with are black with many little buckles.

Marianne bought these.

Marianne's leg and foot ending in a lovely pair of Fluevog ankle boots with low heels and paisley-printed leather, and latticework over the vamp.

Marianne bought these too.

A handful of fats peruse a wall of a million shiny beaded necklaces.

The shopping continued.

Black and cream saddle shoes sit on an open Fluevog shoebox.

I bought these.

Finally, I do hope y’all will forgive me a tiny bit of self-promotion here, considering I engage in such shenangians so rarely. Let’s be friends in other places too!

On Twitter: 52stations
On Tumblr: theoryofgravity
On Facebook: Lesley Kinzel
On Xbox Live: Victorian Squid

Fluff completed. <3

Ruth on May 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm.

The pictures aren’t loading for me, neither IE or Firefox.

It could be because my computer totes hates me, but could also be something else since all other images from this site load.

Thanks.

gina on May 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm.

not loading for me, either.

margitte on May 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm.

now i want to get xbox live again, THANKS LESLEY.

bloomie on May 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm.

Sorry I missed you this weekend, glad you had such a wonderful, fatty time. All of those Fluevogs are to DIE for. DIE.

clownremover on May 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm.

Nice shoes! I love Fluevog, but sadly can never afford their shoes. Back in the late 80′s I used to get on their mailing list just so I could get their catalogs. They used to have awesomely designed catalogs. I think I still may have a few old ones in a box somewhere. I’ve often wondered if their sizing was fattie-friendly especially the boots (as far as ankle width and foot width go). There is a Fluevog store in San Francisco that I occasionally visit whenever I’m across the bridge (the only reason I go to the Haight aside from Ameoba and Kanzaman. I never try anything on because it would break my heart to find something I loved but I couldn’t buy due to my chronic brokeitude. :-P

YellowValkyrie on May 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm.

OMG, I need to get Xbox live so we can be gamerfriends! That would be rad. I may be getting it soon, due to possibly moving back to the SF area and needing to still be able to shoot zombies with my boyfriend (duh!). If/when that happens, can we maybe play something together or somthin’? *shuffles feet and blushes nervously*

YellowValkyrie on May 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm.

Holy cats, I just looked at your XBOX avatar and ours are doppelgangers: same hair (different color), same mouth, glasses, similar skirt/cardi/boots outfit. Love it.

Stephie on May 4, 2011 at 6:22 pm.

Did you see this article? http://www.villagevoice.com/2011-05-04/news/guys-who-like-fat-chicks/5/

Stephie on May 4, 2011 at 6:23 pm.

By the way, I want those pink creepers. And the Fluevogs. Those are made of epic win and awesome!

spuffyduds on May 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm.

Adorable shoes!

….hmm, Robyn Hitchcock fan?

Liza on May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm.

Live Fatcast was AWESOME.

crookedfinger on May 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm.

Oh man I am jealous of your Fluevog-purchasing abilities! They just opened a store here in Portland and I refuse to torture myself by even visiting it.

Kim on May 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm.

I love the first picture–I think one of the few I’ve seen where you’re smiling! You have a very nice smile :)

kbryna on May 4, 2011 at 11:34 pm.

I can’t really even afford Payless Shoe store shoes, let alone AWESOME ONES like those pictured here.

But I LOVE awesome shoes. Love them. And since I moved on up out of “approved” cute-clothing sizes, I’ve had to rely more and more on shoes to be my awesome fashion statement. Most Fat-lady clothes are either 1) just plain hideous and/or 2) really not going to look right on my short self. Drapey and flowy and big prints are all a terrible idea when you’re a shrimperton like myself.

I envy people who have, or will have, the money for shoes that cost over $100. I’ll be paying off my student loans until I die, so no fab shoes for me :(

JupiterPluvius on May 5, 2011 at 12:03 am.

OMG so jellous of all of you in your adorable fatness and your wonderful new shoooooz.

wriggles on May 5, 2011 at 6:31 am.

Wow, don’t you look different with a toothy smile?

Can’t say anything more intelligent than that m’afraid.

teh_ace on May 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm.

o.O The latticework boots are making me drool, and I usually don’t have a shoe kink! Omg, they have to have an online store!

Grace on May 7, 2011 at 12:09 am.

Yay! Fluevogs are the best! I didn’t read the captions as I looked at the pictures, but I recognized the Fluevogs when I spotted them. I live about 3 blocks from San Francisco’s Haight St Fluevog store, and I have reached the point where I have to leave my wallet behind if I walk in the door. I’ve cast more than a few longing looks at the black pair with buckles you are wearing in the pictures.

Don’t be afraid to try Fluevogs on – even if you can’t afford retail, it lets you know your size and what styles may fit you. I’ve scored Fluevogs very cheaply on eBay and Amazon.com, but especially with the used ‘Vogs, you need to know what size is likely to fit you if you buy online.

Also, Fluevog does sales twice a year, in January and July. I’ve scored more than a few steals when the sales roll around.

Julia on May 9, 2011 at 4:53 pm.

Looking at these pics made me happy again. I love being around fatties! I dragged a friend to the FGFM for the first time and I think she enjoyed all the rad fatness. She also scored used Fluevogs for $35 which is a prize indeed.

I also think it’s so great that there are SO MANY rad fatties you can’t visit with them all. I love community