Video: Two Whole Cakes explained! Sort of.

By | November 9, 2010

Last May, I was invited to present as part of a panel entitled “Fat Politics and Sexuality in the Face of Hate: A Forum on Rights You Didn’t Know You Needed” in New York, alongside some noted luminaries of fattery, namely Katie LeBesco, Substantia Jones, Zoe Meleo-Erwin, and Marilyn Wann. It was a good time, even though I ridiculously waited until the last minute to figure out what I was going to say. I wound up explaining — in a manner of speaking — the origins and significance of “two whole cakes”.

The video above captures my individual ten-minute talk. For the first five minutes you can’t see me much at all through Substantia Jones’ lovely head, so just trust that I was gesticulating wildly with my hands, as I am oft wont to do. Eventually someone moves the camera.

What I say in this video really does sound like something I wrote quickly and emphatically, but then sometimes those are the things that resonate most with people. (To my occasional chagrin.)

Karen on November 9, 2010 at 12:28 pm.

OMG, that was hilarious! I’m glad I watched it. Oh man, sometimes I miss her. Or at least shaking my head at her.

Aki on November 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm.

Ah, fatterina. She has no idea does she?

Michelle on November 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm.

Heya! This is great, but please post the transcript! If I couldn’t hear or was in a space where noise isn’t okay, I wouldn’t have gotten to enjoy it.

meggie on November 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm.

Oh Leslie, I love you. This made me tear up.

Veronica on November 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm.

I applaud you. Literally. I just applauded. :)

Savannah on November 10, 2010 at 5:03 am.

AAAHHHHHH how are you so fucking badass?!?!? Your writing is like a cake. Frosted with awesome and sprinkled with witticisms and I WILL EAT IT ALL. Oh man, we are on the metaphor train now.

CollieMom01 on November 10, 2010 at 8:55 am.

Loved it!! I joined FA long after that phrase was used for the first time, so I really enjoyed hearing the back story. And I just have to say, what an awesome panel–that must have been such an interesting and lively discussion. Rock on, Lesley!!!

Mimi on November 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm.

The line that stood out for me was, “Your body is not public property.” I forget that sometimes. Thanks for the reminder! Now…where’s my cake?

Lisa on November 11, 2010 at 7:08 am.

You rock. I loved this. Loved! Transcript, yes, please, so I can memorize and arm myself with it.

Kate on November 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm.

Pure awesome.

Puts a whole new spin on the ‘let them eat cake’ thing, no?

Jenny on November 12, 2010 at 1:35 pm.

I am so glad you posted this-thank you!!!

Am craving cake now!

Sarah Neely on November 14, 2010 at 3:43 pm.

“Gastronomic Sainthood” and McDonalds + Couch + ANTM = YES.

“You have a right to eat cake, no matter how fat or how thin you are.”

Thank you. I’m still just discovering Fat Acceptance ant it’s powerful for me to hear these things! :-)

crookedfinger on November 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm.

Thank you for sharing this. I hadn’t heard the back story before, but that was pretty damned funny! …And also slightly depressing, because I’ve seen people out there who would readily believe that assertion, ridiculous as it is.

And now I want a piece of cake.

nate on December 17, 2010 at 3:31 am.

you are so awesome. and i really needed this tonight. thank you.